Social Security Benefits
Let Us Help
Let the experts at Cypress Lawn Funeral Homes guide you through life’s hardest moments. We are here to help however we can. Our staff is familiar with Social Security and can assist you with the documents to ensure you receive all the benefits deserved.
Below is a checklist designed to help you file for your Social Security benefits correctly so that prompt payments may be made.
To be eligible, the deceased worker must have credit for work covered by Social Security, ranging from 1.5 to 10 years depending on his or her age at death. Those who may receive monthly benefits are:
- A widow or widower age 60 (50 if disabled) or older or at any age if caring for an entitled child who is under 16 or disabled
- A divorced widow or widower age 60 (50 if disabled) or older if the marriage lasted 10 years or if caring for an entitled child who is under 16 or disabled
- Unmarried children up to 18 (19 if they are attending a primary or secondary school full-time)
- Children who were disabled before reaching 22, as long as they remained disabled
- Dependent parent or parents 62 or older
A one-time Lump-Sum Death Payment of $255 is paid in addition to the monthly cash benefits described above. The LSDP is paid accordingly:
- A surviving spouse who lived in the same household as the deceased person at the time of death
- A surviving spouse eligible for or entitled to benefits for the month of death
- A child or children eligible for or entitled to benefits for the month of death
In order to receive benefits, you must apply at any Social Security office or, if you wish, you may apply by telephone. Just dial the toll-free number 1-800-772-1213, and the operator will schedule an appointment for you or arrange for the local Social Security office to take your claim by telephone.
Call Social Security toll-free, 365 days a year, 24 hours a day. To speak with a representative, call between the hours of 7:00am and 7:00pm on regular business days. At other times and on weekends and holidays, you may leave a message, and they will call you back, in most cases, the next business day.
Use the toll-free number to make an appointment either in a Social Security office or telephone to apply for benefits, transact other Social Security business, ask questions, or you can also visit the Social Security Website.