Cypress Lawn symbolizes many different things to many different people.
For some, our Memorial Park signifies a peaceful final resting place for a loved one or perhaps an ancestor from several generations past. For others, it’s a sacred space where the life of a beloved friend or family member was celebrated.
However, for all, it is considered to be a place of unmatchable beauty — an oasis of tranquility tucked away from the hustle and bustle of San Francisco. Cypress Lawn is also the eternal home to many prominent Californians who shaped our city, state, and country.
In this blog, we’ll be exploring the different campuses of Cypress Lawn and explaining their significance.
Noble’s goal was to create a classical garden setting comparable to cemeteries on the East Coast. He used Mt. Auburn in Massachusetts as a specific inspiration for Cypress Lawn.
The East Campus is home to creations by many acclaimed architects, sculptors, bronze artisans, and stained-glass craftsmen. It also hosts 87 private mausoleums — featuring some of the most elegant tomb art in the world. Many prominent Californians are laid to rest here, including William Randolph Hearst and Claus Spreckels.
Click here to view a printable map of the East Campus.
Shortly after the beginning of the 20th century, the directors of Cypress Lawn purchased 100 acres on the west side of El Camino Real to expand the Memorial Park.
Following this, construction began on the magnificent mission-style Cypress Lawn Public Mausoleum with its incomparable stained-glass ceilings.
The West Campus is also home to Laurel Hill Mound, which is the final resting place for approximately 35,000 San Franciscans who were moved to Cypress Lawn from Laurel Hill Cemetery in 1940. This occurred after thousands of the dead were “evicted” from the City of San Francisco following the passage of a law.
Click here to view a printable map of Cypress Lawn’s West Campus.
The Hillside Gardens campus of Cypress Lawn, located at 1701 Hillside Blvd., was dedicated in 2006.
In addition to traditional-style burial grounds, this campus features a variety of beautiful and unique family estate gardens.
This 45-acre campus includes mausoleum buildings, lakes, and our special lotus flower granite fountain.
Click here to view a printable map of Cypress Lawn’s Hillside Gardens.
Olivet Gardens, which is situated at the base of the San Bruno Mountains, was acquired by Cypress Lawn in 2020.
Originally named Mount Olivet, this cemetery opened in 1896 — four years after Cypress Lawn. It was known as the “Cemetery of All Faiths” and sits adjacent to the Hillside Gardens.
This campus occupies 65 acres and features a columbarium with stained-glass skylights and a new 300-seat funeral chapel.
There are several historic monuments at Olivet Gardens, including the Show Folks of America memorial, known as “Showman’s Rest,” and the 18-foot-tall granite monument for the Sailors Union of the Pacific created by prominent sculptor John Stoll.
We hope you’ve enjoyed this virtual tour of all of the Cypress Lawn campuses. If you are interested in learning more about our beautiful Memorial Park, don’t hesitate to contact us by phone at (650) 755-0580 or by filling out a short form on our website.